Doing Good - With Stuff
So, as you may have gathered, there's a lot of STUFF at my dad's house. Those who stopped by over the weekend were amazed at the sheer quality, and that's AFTER 8 weeks of organizing but BEFORE we have tackled the basement...
So this is where it has gone so far:
- Bags and bags of clothes to Joseph's Coat, and to the Odd Couple coat drive (also going to Joseph's Coat).
- Food to the MLK food shelf.
- Glasses (so many glasses) to the Lions — they have a collection site at Lund's, but it's sneaky and you have to ask for it.
- Mugs to Simpson House.
- More (nicer) clothes to Mission Manduhai, for distribution in Mongolia this summer.
- A load of clothes and household goods picked up by the Epilepsy Foundation.
- Bags and bags of school supplies to Beatrix's school, plus tons of books to her teacher, and 10 boxes of history magazines to the Maker Space there.
- Bags and bags to Goodwill (I'm not crazy about Goodwill, but sometimes it's the only place).
- DVDs on our front porch for people to stop by for (let me know if you still want to look!).
- Books in the car to go to Half Price Books.
- Skates and ski boots to go to Play It Again Sports.
- Refrigerator recycled through Xcel.
- Contacted the Walker about donating a print (waiting to hear back).
- A weekend of having people stop by and take anything they wanted. I think some of our friends, especially with new places, got some good stuff!
- People also stopped by and got plants for their yards. So many perennials there!
- Bins and bins of recycled paper.
- Some trash, but not too much.
- We still need help getting hangers to a dry cleaners, and paint and cleaning supplies and such in the basement to hazardous waste.
That said, there is still soooo much stuff. Any great ideas on what to do with it to effect the most good?