Some Seminal Moments

 Some seminal moments of the last week:

-  Seeing my friend Kate for drinks on a patio. More than anyone else, Kate has been an inspiring force for me to do/keep doing/challenge/overcome and succeed in/ what I do. Our interaction over the pandemic has been limited to outside, porch-based, short conversations. Spending 2 hours having drinks with her this week was an unbelievable luxury that quite possibly changed my life.

-  Seeing IN THE HEIGHTS, in a movie theater, with other people. The movie made me cry, but even more so, sitting in a communal space, with others, did so.

-  Coffee with my friend Carolyn at the new coffeeshop at 550 Vandalia. The coffee shop is great, but Carolyn is more fantastic. We picked up right where we left off (we were schedule to have coffee last on March 16, 2020.)

-  Our Friday night pool party. Enough said. The people who need to be there are always the ones who come. They are perhaps more important now than they ever were before.

-  A Saturday full of celebratory graduation parties and birthdays. You people make my heart full.

-  A bonus daughter who shows up with donuts.

-  Celebrating my friend Siobhan's (and Meghan's!) birthdays. We started with axe-throwing at The Lumberjack (I will literally meet you there any time you want — it is SO much fun!). Then a rooftop dinner (#summerofrooftops), and an incredibly decadent dessert. After the group fun ended, Patrick and I headed to The Velveteen Speakeasy, which was even more wonderful than I had hoped, I can hardly wait to go back! Meanwhile, Beatrix spent the night at a birthday sleepover, which I think was equally transformative for her (Let's hear it for full vaccination! Yay science!)





-  Heading out to White Bear Meadery for Father's Day mead today. This poor place is raising money for a new mead hall, and dear god do they need it. It's a tiny storefront wedged between a gun shop and a car repair place. There are a few dumpster-diven tables on some asphalt outside, and a tiny storefront space filled with boxes and both and distribution items and some vaguely Viking decor nailed up on the walls. But the mead was solid, and we had a nice time.


It' hard to get back to whatever life means now. But it is also incredibly rewarding.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Do We Mean When We Talk About Race?

New Year's Eve 2023

Choosing Happy