Pandemic Projects - Peacocks

So, especially when we first got him, Winston was a really nervous dog, who had huge separation issues when away from Patrick. And Patrick was rigging every night. So one particularly anxious evening, Winston Ate.The.Wall at Summit.


(I mean, at least it made him feel better for a little).



That particular wall had issues anyway. There were marks and scrapes on the wallpaper, and some fading. 


However, though my mom saved many things from redecorating (anyone need any quarry tiles?), there was no wallpaper left to fix it. I could not match it, and I really did not want to redo the whole room. So it has sat, for a couple of years.

Last year I got the idea to do an accent wall there. I found some wallpaper I liked ok, but it still was not ideal, so I didn't really move on it. Then I got the idea (I think from my friend Jennifer Halcrow) to look at murals, and so fell down the hole of murals available at Society 6 (full disclosure, the link is a referral code that gets you and me $15 off, I think). After looking at hundreds of murals, I settled on something vintage and travel-related — and then, peacocks!

So I took down the wallpaper and ordered the mural (stop looking at the wall like it's a snack, Winston).


I had wanted something that would welcome our guests — and since we have friends coming to stay this weekend (thank you, Pfizer!), I wanted to get it up tonight (and Patrick obliged me).

Now of course the installation video that Society6 puts up makes it look easy, and it was not. This was adhesive backed, and I have to say that I think regular wallpapering is easier and more controllable. We did end up using paste in some areas. It came in four heavy sheets that could get difficult to position, especially on an old, not-square wall, and of course they had to line up perfectly. I of course lacked the key element of height, but Patrick did amazingly with it. You could call him the king of wall murals.


In the end, though, we got it up, and we even did some fancy tricks like wrapping it around the edge so I did not need to try to patch that section of wallpaper with the stuff I had removed. And I have to say, I think it looks amazing. 

I think my mom would have loved it, and I am excited to have something new in the space!



(special thanks to Patrick being especially awesome with this)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Do We Mean When We Talk About Race?

New Year's Eve 2023

Choosing Happy