In Praise of Small Events

Don't get me wrong. I usually love big events. We attended a Big Gay Dance Party, with Beatrix in a sling, just 2 weeks after she was born. I love the exuberance of a crowd of people, the shared experience. Big performance events. I'm an ENTJ, after all. 

But, as we are s-l-o-w-l-y kind of emerging from the pandemic, I'm realizing that it's the small, or even one-on-one situations that have meant the most to me recently. Spending time with my friend Joe when he was here from Boston, or Dawn, here from New York, or Randy and Diane, here from Ohio. Hanging out with Val, or Elyse, or Debra, or Ximena. Wine with Robert and Emily, or Jen and Erica. Steve and Lana's backyard, Kelly and Laura's hot tub. Walks with Carrie. Drinks on the porch with neighbors. Taprooms with friends like Sarah. Hosting our SPA Buddy family. Walks with Siobhan and Megan. A weekend at Wintermoon Summersun. So many other get togethers I am not remembering right now.

Sometimes it's been *slightly* bigger things like book club of tonight's Playwright's Center viewing at Robert's, or our slightly smaller than usual pool parties. Even in big events, like Dinner in White, it was sitting with Chris and Michelle until late late late that gave me the most joy. And at a large funeral for my friend's mom, I could feel a laser-focused connection with several of my friends in the church, who I have know and loved for 40 years.

So maybe I'm changing a little. Maybe it's about the quiet times. But I know I want so spend that time with YOU. Let's get together.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Do We Mean When We Talk About Race?

New Year's Eve 2023

Choosing Happy