Think Global, Eat Local

We have had some really incredible meals this week.

First, we had great pub-type food at The Blue Door, which just opened at Selby and Fairview. $2 pints during Happy Hour, great fries with sea salt, and a mass of "Juicy Lucy" burgers. Patrick declared the bacon one he had one of the best burgers he had ever eaten, and I was happy with the "build your own" chicken sandwich. I'd meet you here anytime!

Then Tuesday we met my dad and Loanne at The Duplex, which is another favorite. For a chef-driven restaurant with a sweet atmosphere and great prices, this place can't be beat! Plus, Monday and Tuesday are half-price wine nights. They are baby friendly, and I think in this economy could really use some extra business. Another place I would meet you anytime!

But the piece de resistance this week was Bank last night for Patrick's birthday. We sat at the Chef's Teller Counter, where, rather than ordering from the menu, the chef asks you a little about what you like, then puts together a special menu just for you. We started with some perfectly prepared shrimp and calamari, then each had a soup and salad combo (we switched halfway), then a small fish course, then a main course (Patrick steak, me Tasmanian sea bass) plus a special side they made for us with duck belly and gnocchi. The assistant chef who made the duck came over to check on it, because it was the first time he had made is, and we assured him he had a winner. The head chef and others kept us company the entire time, and we got to watch everything be made, which was fantastic. Plus, if you are as *frugal* as I am, not a bad deal, either — I was worried about how much this would cost, but the price was very reasonable for the two of us. I can't recommend it enough. GO. We may stop by some night just for apps, if we can.

----

Self-serving message: If you are thinking of eating out and want to get a Blue Sky Guide for places like Common Roots and Galactic Pizza, let me know. I am selling them for Beatrix's daycare through october 20. Surprisingly good deals!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Do We Mean When We Talk About Race?

New Year's Eve 2023

Choosing Happy