Shattered

After a great vacation, and driving from Denver to Minneapolis in one shot and through a blizzard, yesterday was a hard return to reality.

I was running a little late to Beatrix's Girl Scout presentation due to a meeting, but pulled up only a minute late at 7:31pm and got a parking spot right in front of the church on Hamline, across from Randolph Heights. I ran in, and felt like I had hit the mom jackpot.

And then, just a few minutes later, someone came in and told me my car had been broken into.

In just a few minutes, someone had shattered my window, grabbed my computer bag and purse, and taken off. Before the police could even arrive, my phone was buzzing with fraud alerts from charges made. And most of all, my work computer, and its backup, were gone.

It's like I lost my whole world at once.

People have been amazing. My amazing friend Amber immediately showed up with cake and wine (how did she know exactly what I needed?). Patrick installed a 9-month old backup on my old computer and I am hobbling along with it.

But it's a pain in the butt, and I can't get my window fixed for days (likely after the snowstorm), and the cost of the deductible alone means that any fun things I had on the horizon (like going away for a night for our anniversary, or even attending the rose festival) are pretty much out of the picture. (I got to teach Beatrix about how insurance works. She's not a fan of the "reductable.")

So if I have learned anything, it's 1) back up twice, and keep the other one somewhere where you are not, and 2) always take the stupid heavy bag in with you.

This makes me so very sad.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Do We Mean When We Talk About Race?

New Year's Eve 2023

Desk Set