Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes

It's always the everyday things. My friend Meghan says one of her most commented FB statuses was about the annoying "headband headache." For me, I brag about how much I did last night, but all anyone wants to know is "Tell me about the cupcakes!"

So without further ado...

My friend Rebecca, who clears the path for me in culinary exploration, had mentioned chocolate chip cookie dough cupcakes and I was curious. She made them gluten-free, with vanilla bean batter and icing, but I decided that was too much work and stuck more closely to the original recipe.

Make a batch of cupcakes from yellow cake mix. Follow the recipe on the box, but also add 1/2 cup applesauce (sugar-free if possible). Next time I do this, I'm going to use the regular yellow cake mix — for this I used the "butter recipe" and it was a little too buttery.

Mix in 1/2 cup chocolate chips. For me, these all sank to the bottom as they were baked. Not a tragedy, but a little annoying. I might futz more and do a marble batter next time.

Bake as directed.

I then used a metal teaspoon to cut out a scoop from the top of each cupcake, and filled with the cookie dough filling, which I had made while the cupcakes were baking and cooling, and chilled in the fridge for about an hour until it was pretty stiff:

Filling:
4 Tbsp softened butter
6 Tbsp brown sugar
1 cup + 2 Tbsp flour
7 oz (half a can) sweetened condensed milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup mini chocolate chips

All creamed together and chilled as above.

I filled the hole with the cookie dough filling (in a pinch, if you were keeping these in the freezer, you could probably just fill with cookie dough ice cream). Then, Beatrix and I ate all the cake bits I had scooped out of the cupcakes.

I then frosted the cupcakes (with plain old canned white buttercream frosting) and topped each cupcake with some little rolled balls of the filling (there was a lot left over) and a sprinkling of mini chocolate chips.

Yum! They are very sweet, and not as good as the $5 cupcakes at fancy bakeshops, but also not $5 each, so I win.

I am now dreaming about the root beer float cupcakes Rebecca made from the Smitten Kitchen recipe, which are truly amazing. But then you would know how much time I waste on food blogs, decorating sites (I'm looking at YOU, Young House Love!), and various cute craft sites that tempt me to make adorable things for Beatrix if I could only suss the time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Do We Mean When We Talk About Race?

New Year's Eve 2023

Desk Set