Love Is Strange

One of my favorite things about working at IFP Minnesota is learning about film. I'm really an idiot in this area; I know very little about film production, and I don't seem to have that encyclopedic knowledge that everyone else seems to have about most movies ever made. But this isn't from a lack of interest, but rather a lack of experience.

For the third year in a row, IFP is screening the Independent Spirit Awards with the Walker Art Center. The awards, which are basically the independent film version of the Oscars, are shown in New York, LA, and here, thanks to Andrew making them a priority 2 years ago. I feel incredibly lucky to get a chance to see them, and they are FREE to IFP members! (and staff members, of course). Plus we get to vote on the winners, like an Academy member.

The part I love best is seeing things I likely would not normally see. Case in point — tonight's showing of "LOve Is Strange," with writer and director Ira Sachs in attendance for a pre-show reception and a Q&A afterwards. The film is absolutely lovely, with an amazing cast, and a plot that is part slice of life and part incredibly provocative. And I never, in a million years, would have likely seen it without this little nudge.

There's more information on the screenings here. There are no tickets for sale; the only way to get in is to be an IFP member (or Walker film club member, but the IFP membership gives you free master classes and other discounts and all kinds of great stuff and is cheaper!) And then you can join me to see another fantastic movie!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Do We Mean When We Talk About Race?

New Year's Eve 2023

Choosing Happy