Out There, Right Now

So, over coffee a few weeks back, my friend Bethany and I were talking about the vast array of things to see and do in the Twin Cities; especially in the winter, it's like our own version of art hygge. During that conversation, I admitted I had never actually been to any of the Walker's Out There performances, ever. So, being a good friend, she promptly invited me to come with her to one, since she had already had a pair of tickets for each.

And I think I'm glad I waited, because this was the perfect first experience. I got to go to the Walker with Bethany, who knows that place like a second home and can share her comfort with me (I've been a little intimidated by that robot head ever since the renovation). I got to see tone of people in the lobby that I really like (bummer for no intermission and intermission-conversations). And most of all, I got to see an amazing performance, Germinal, as conceived by Halory Goerger and Antoine Defoort.

Let's just say it was not Zola's Germinal (though I would like to see how those folks would treat that source material.)

And with that I won't say much about the actual show, because if you ever get a chance to see it you should, and it's better if you don't go in knowing too much. But it was a fantastic piece, filled with by conflict between play and thought, words and action, present moment and before/after. It was wonderfully performed. It kept me totally involved. And it was very, very French.

I'm hooked. (thanks, Bethany!)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Do We Mean When We Talk About Race?

New Year's Eve 2023

Choosing Happy