They Call Me a Francophile, At Least They Know I Know Where France Is

Our Paris trip earlier this summer is quickly fading into memory, and I didn't even write about it all that much.

I did not tell you about the joys of walking to the same patisserie each morning for a pan au chocolat and hot, strong coffee, and being recognized by the counter girls.

I did not tell you about making a new friend and walking the rainy cobbles of Montmartre.

I did not tell you about the sun setting oh-so-late, so you stop at a sidewalk cafe bustling with people long after dark for wine and chocolate mousse and revel in all being up late.

I did not tell you about champagne with Rosy in a square with fountains in the middle.

I did not tell you about the light on Notre Dame.

I did not tell you about the wonder in Patrick and Beatrix's eyes when they first saw Saint Chapelle, and the Orangerie.

I did not tell you about the mix of the old and the new with new art installations placed into Versailles. Or the Pont des Arts.

I did not tell you about a Seine boat ride in the pouring rain.

I did not tell you that the Bridge of Locks had been taken down, so locks spring up all over the city.

I did not tell you about the dog in the basket the night of our anniversary dinner.

I did not tell you about the dogs all walking perfectly with their people, not needing leashes.

I did not tell you about walking narrow streets, peering into courtyards.

I did not tell you about the shop filled with butterflies, and shells, and a stuffed yak.

I did not tell you about the exhibit at the Pompidou Center that we loved so much we went back to, twice in two days.

I did not tell you about Beatrix blowing bubbles off the top of the Eiffel Tower, or sailing a sailboat in the Jardins de Luxembourg.

I did not tell you about so much. But it is all in my memory.



Comments

Carol Taylor said…
Hi Bethany! What a wonderful experience your family had. I've never been to France, probably never will, so I live vicariously through others travels. The Frence Cafe's will long linger in your mind, I'm sure. St Paul/ Mpls maybe seems a bit dull right now, but it's home and not much is better than that.

Popular posts from this blog

What Do We Mean When We Talk About Race?

New Year's Eve 2023

Desk Set