L'Chaim

On a day when out local JCC was closed due to a bomb threat, it seemed even more fitting that tonight we went to see Fiddler on the Roof by Ten Thousand Things Theater.

It was one of their free many performances, which they hold to make sure that their shows are accessible to literally all. This one was at the American Indian Center, which I had never been to. Beatrix is used to going to shows in all kinds of places, but I don't think it had ever occurred to you that you could do theatre like that in a big community space, so she was particularly fascinated.

I've actually never seen Fiddler, though it's burned into my cultural literacy. And what an amazing cast to see it with! TTT rarely sets a foot wrong in casting, and this production in particular was an embarrassment of performing riches. Though Steve Epp captivated me as Tevye (the joke when I worked at Jeune Lune was that audience members always said they would buy tickets to watch Steve read the phone book and Bradley Greenwald sing the ABC song, and we were always tempted to try it), the rest of the cast was also incredible. The performers were not only strong in their "main" roles, but also played several roles each, including moments for every man played  woman and vice versa (which amused Beatrix to no end). After seeing it, I don't know that I can imagine the show with a more standard cast (so much for "tradition.")

I was not prepared, though maybe I should have been, for how much the story resonated with political events today, and how teary it would make me. In the program, the cast bios were discussing why they do theatre now in particular, and more than ever that simple question made me realize how very important it is.

Most performances are sold out, so maybe TTT does not need your ticket dollar so much. But trust me, you need to see this show. Do whatever you can to get in.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Do We Mean When We Talk About Race?

New Year's Eve 2023

Choosing Happy