After a glass of wine tonight, I was reflecting on how our ideals have become a household:
- Patrick and myself, who met later in life, whose ideas are often counter-instinctual (i.e. minimalism vs. semi-hoarder), but whose values are almost identical and who love each other fiercely;
- Our daughter, a crazy mix of both of us and her own ideals;
- Our wonderful housemate, who has been gone on vacation for not even 48 hours and who I already miss greatly;
- 4 fish (enough said);
- Crazy rescue dogs Coya (heroically rescued by our friend Wendy from a cruel backyard breeder) and neurotic Winston (equally heroically rescued by our friend Sandy after being dumped)
- Cats Mimi (found at the doorstep), Belle (who we took in for a friend) and Dandelion (who we found on CraigsList), and now new foster kitty Tiger Lily, already settling in.
Add tho those:
- Our amazing network of friends and family, who we love to pieces and see too little;
- Our client base, many of whom have become friends;
- Our collection of historic homes.
Someone asked recently if I was where I had wanted to be in life. I don't know if I am, but I know I would not want to be anywhere else but where I am.