Needle and Thread

Beatrix has a security blanket that is her most prized possession. It's one of MY most prized possessions as well; my wonderful friend Kristin made it for her, with one side a quilt she pieced and the other cloth cleaned from an old housedress of my mom's. Every time I see it (which is often, Beatrix hauls it everywhere), it makes me think of my mom, and my friends.

The housedress side completely wore apart, and so for 6-8 weeks Beatrix has been walking around with an especially tattered blanket. This kind of came to a head the other morning, when Beatrix woke up at 4am with a terrible coughing fit and could not get back to sleep. Clearly, something had to be done.

Patrick gave me a beautiful sewing machine for my first Mother's day, but I honestly had not used it much. My new sewing area is on the 3rd floor, and it's very hot up there. I didn't have pink thread, I had forgotten how to wind a bobbin on the new machine, I did not have a cutting board, etc. There had been all sorts of excuses, but I really had to get this done.

So yesterday I set aside some time. I pressed and cut the cloth. I hooked up the sewing machine. I decided the black thread in the bobbin was fine, and indeed it was. And as soon as I found the treadle beneath my foot, I felt comfortable and at home again. It was an amazing feeling.

I washed the blanket and gave it to Beatrix when she got home that night. She was thrilled, and insisted on bringing it to the puppet show we attended. And I was amazed again at how fantastic it feels to do the right thing, and how often we put it off.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Do We Mean When We Talk About Race?

New Year's Eve 2023

Choosing Happy