Paul McCartney

When I was in junior high school, my friend Kathy and I began our love for the Beatles. I learned all the lyrics to pretty much every song (and much of my brainspace is still devoted to that). In a pre-internet age, I learned everything I could about them — saved clippings, caught occasional clips on TV, played the albums (especially Sgt. Pepper) over and over again. And, of course, my favorite was John.

So when my friend Geri invited me to the paul McCartney concert with her, I jumped at the chance. Yes, as her son Ravi said "I don't know why you're so excited. He's your worst Beatle." But still, when you get a chance to see Paul McCartney…

And man, he did not disappoint. This 72-year-old powered through three hours of the most high-energy concert I have ever seen (ok, I don't get to a lot of concerts, and certainly not the kind with big fancy sound and lights and where they release fireworks as part of "Live and Let Die." But I digress.)

Maybe the most charming part was how much of the Beatles the show included, and how good he still sounds singing the songs. For a few hours, not only was I in Paul McCartney's world, I was back to a much earlier version of myself. And it felt good.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Do We Mean When We Talk About Race?

New Year's Eve 2023

Choosing Happy