Spy Stories

My fascination with  WWII history began at an early age. My mother was very interested in it, and I remember reading (and watching) The Holocaust in fourth grade and being told by a teacher's aide to put it aside for later. Since then, I've devoured as much about it as I could.

I was initially disappointed in Avenue of Spies. A quick skim through the book showed a rather dry past tense writing that is just not my preferred style. I came close to just putting it aside. It clearly had a lot of research and information in it, but I was just not sure it would captivate me.

But I had it with me for a weekend away, so I sat down by the lake to read it and was soon taken in. The true story, of an American doctor married to a French woman and practicing in Occupied Paris, was really captivating, as was their involvement in the Resistance. The French WWII story is so often overlooked, and is extremely complex.

The more I read, the more I got involved with the story, and the more engaged I got. In the end, I'm really glad I stuck it out.

(As usual, I received this book form Blogging for Books in exchange for my unbiased review)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Do We Mean When We Talk About Race?

New Year's Eve 2023

Desk Set