Pushing the Boundaries

It's like the universe was trying to tell me something. First I read Present Over Perfect, and then I head a Ted talk, both on the same topic, how the first part of your life is all about building things up, and the second half is all about trimming them back.

This depressed me greatly. Not only do I not even want to be thinking about moving towards the end of my life, but I certainly don't want to be cutting back. I want to be trying new things, exploring places I have not gone yet, and pushing my own boundaries. I reject cutting back.

So, recently, I've been pushing myself to try new things.

My friend Bethany noticed that last year at the Fair, there were very few scrapbook entries, and the topics were reasonable vague ("Heritage," "Vacation," and "Special Occasion"). So she hosted several of us to get together for "Subversive Scrapbooking," the idea being that we would
"scrapbook up some State Fair entries that will make judges and State Fair visitors uncomfortable"

What the heck, I'd never entered anything into the State Fair, so I put together a couple of pages about anti-miscegenation law and how Patrick and I could not have even gotten married until 1967, the year we were born.

Our entries did not exactly take the Fair by storm. In fact, they were scattered like garbage on the floor of the case. But hey, at least I can say I had something in the State Fair.





Soon after that, I auditioned for a web series. I got cast! More on that soon.

Finally, today I got to play a (very small) role in curating a photographic exhibition. At FilmNorth, we're presenting a show honoring the 40th anniversary of Theatre de la Jeune Lune. Andrew picked the photos, by Michal Daniel and Fred Desbois, and did a fantastic and thoughtful job. But today he was staging them for hanging, and pulled me into their arrangement, taking into account style, subject, and show. The process was fascinating, and I really enjoyed it.

I'm so proud of this show. It would mean a lot to me if you came, either for the opening this Friday night (7-10pm at FilmNorth), or while the show is up (through December). It's going to be amazing!



Comments

Unknown said…
Congrats on trying new things! And next year we will come home with some ribbons!

Popular posts from this blog

What Do We Mean When We Talk About Race?

New Year's Eve 2023

Choosing Happy