Co(ven) Working

So does anyone remember a few years back when everyone and their brother seemed to be running a co-working space? It started with CoCo (now Fueled Collective), which is still going strong, but most of the other businesses who threw a few desks into empty rooms with the prospect of MLM-styled rent and one ancient, shared printer seem to have gone by the wayside. (see also the Wikipedia entry for We Work.)

Lately there seems to be a resurgence, of which I am very skeptical. That is, until I toured The Coven's new space yesterday for their opening.



First of all, it's a beautiful space that takes advantage of one of my favorite buildings in Saint Paul. Win for adaptive use.



Second of all, it's well-designed. There is over 9,000 square feet of space that makes use of a basement level that does not seem basement-y at all. One winds around to multiple spall spaces with desks, comfy seating areas, conference rooms, small "phone booths," and all-around innovative spaces.



There's a kitchen for coffee or snacks or the lunch you brought, a self-care room with a shower and good lighting for make-up, and even childcare several days a week (WHERE was that when I needed it?). Plus tons of great books scattered everywhere, which would likely distract me from work but only in the best way.



At the opening, there were tons of interesting women wandering around, talking, getting work done, and hanging out. There was a lot of creativity in that room!

I've always been dubious about co-working spaces, since I always feel like I get little enough time in my own office space. But this is the first one I can imagine actually working in, which is high praise indeed! (now I just need to find a fairy godmother to give me a membership....)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Do We Mean When We Talk About Race?

New Year's Eve 2023

Desk Set