Two Amazing Birthday Gifts

I got two incredible birthday gifts this year, which were especially valuable because it's been kind of a sucky summer and my birthday was a day of non-stop work crazy.

The first was from Patrick, who spent the day re-doing our kitchen countertops (see post here). He knows me well enough to know that a gift like that, that improves our quality of life and is done with his own love and work, is the most valuable possible gift.


The second was from my friend Kate, who posted that she hoped my birthday and staycation was great — I thanked her and said I was back at work - ugh. Son after I got a message "look on your porch" and there was a baguette, fresh mozzarella, delicious balsamic vinegar, tomatoes and basil from her garden, and a bottle of Barolo.

Reader, I cried.

Like I said, it's been a tough summer. Patrick had a show that night. Beatrix and I made bruschetta for dinner and its the first time all summer I have seen her eat comfortably and happily. I didn't have to worry about making dinner. We say around and talked and ate, and it was lovely.

I didn't have the wine that night. I brought it up to Wintermoon Summersun this weekend. Saturday was quite a day for our intrepid host Kathleen, with us as guests, worries about the Greenwood Fire spreading, and a new dog (she had taken in 5 dogs from Frank Moe's kennel while he's having cancer treatment, and Indy was creating quite a number of hassles.) So I offered her a glass/(tin mug) of wine and it was quite appreciated. 

I don't know that Kate quite understands how much effect her gifts had.

Best birthday gifts ever.


Comments

Nancy Lyons said…
Beautiful. Love the counters. And I’m craving bruschetta now. Happy Birthday!

Popular posts from this blog

What Do We Mean When We Talk About Race?

New Year's Eve 2023

Choosing Happy