How Does Your Garden Grow?

I'm too short to be a sunflower, but maybe I'm a phlox.

I love summer. I depend on it as my time to relax and gain some strength, to travel, to learn new things, to spend time with family — basically, as my time to GROW.

And this summer, for any number of reasons, I did not have that. We did not really travel. We did not get any great house projects done. Work is treading water in a lot of waves. I barely swam. I don't feel rested and rejuvenated. I don't feel expanded. I don't feel like any part of me has grown. Instead, I've faced a lot of hard things and ended the summer with a slowly dying cat.

I feel like the garden at Ashland, which somehow got more shaded this year and did not prosper, and the bunnies ate all the seedlings, and we did not have time to tend it, and it's kind of a non-performing mess. It's like the opposite of growth. 


I've been feeling really bad about it. I'm getting older, and losing a summer of growth feels like a huge waste.

So I signed up for more yoga, and we're taking out the non-performing garden and putting a pear tree in its place. I'm wondering if I can grow in the fall. I'm hoping maybe I'm a mum.

How are you doing?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Do We Mean When We Talk About Race?

New Year's Eve 2023

Desk Set