Where You've Lived

In a break from the snarky, how many places have you lived?

I spent from infancy through senior year of high school (with a brief interregnum at my mentor Hazel's place) at 1358 Summit, which we still own.


Two years of dorms at Tufts (Haskell and Tilton Hall).

A year in London in apartments in West Hampstead and Maida Vale (hey, Dave Stewart was our neighbor!)

Back at Tufts for senior year in an apartment on Belknap Street. Spent the summer after senior year subletting a professor's garden level apartment.

Back in London off of Finchley Road.

Taipei on Jen-Ai Lu, and then left it for a short while (where I was mainly really sick and don't remember much) and then back.

A place with Elaine at 593 Laurel. Then bought 627 Ashland.


(Please note this does not count any mostly-living-at-but-not-on-the-lease places with various exes. I laughed out loud when West Hall at Tufts was changed from male-only to co-ed and the first women to live there stated they were "the first women to spend the night in West." Nice try.)

Nor have I lived in all the places I have owned. besides Ashland and Summit, I have owned:

- 507 Ashland, which I sold in my divorce

- 4111 Sheridan (my dad's house, now demolished)


- 82 Winter Street (where my father-in-law lives)


- 753 Hague (which Patrick is working on)

This also does not count the Osakis cabin, which may be part of my heart but has never, and will never, be under my ownership:


So what are the places of your heart?



Comments

leenah said…
Your home on Ashland is a heart place for me. Otherwise, there are spaces that I love or have loved at some point, but the places of my heart are not homes. Colonial Parkway running from Yorktown to Jamestown thru CW. The two mature Linden trees that I pass whenever I’m going somewhere. Cades Cove in the Great Smokey Mountains. Drayton Hall in SC. Maybe it’s because the places I’ve owned I haven’t kept hold of. Nothing other than the house the ex and I owned was important to me, and it’s no longer mine. I’m ok with this.

Popular posts from this blog

What Do We Mean When We Talk About Race?

New Year's Eve 2023

Choosing Happy