Loud

It's been a long time since we have been at a Walker After Hours, so we were excited to go tonight.


The night began auspiciously enough. We got to the Walker a little after 9:00, and ran into our friends Joel and Lyra almost immediately. The place was bumping, so we decided to go through the exhibit (Multiple Realities: Experimental Art in the Easter Bloc 1960s-1980s) pretty much right as we got there.

The exhibit had some strong pieces, and a big political focus (clearly). But I can't help but feel like maybe we don't have enough distance from that period yet? I don't know, I just remained somewhat apart from it all.

It was crowded, and loud, and though the people-watching was good, not a place we really wanted to hang out at. So we decided to try out Public Domain in the North Loop. Sadly, there was a wait there, so they suggested that we try out, Neon Tiger, their "upscale dive bar" in the back. Call me unimpressed. $30 got us an ok piƱa colada and one of the worst pre-mixed martinis I have ever had, in a loud room with no charm. We could not get out fast enough.

It's like, in the recent past, someone turned on a switch and I can no longer take excessively loud places. I just want to go out with Patrick and/or a friend and enjoy a drink and some conversation.

I feel old, and like I am no fun, and I am kind of annoyed with myself both for feeling this way and for not realizing it sooner.

But if you want to hang out, I would love to. Just somewhere quiet please.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Do We Mean When We Talk About Race?

New Year's Eve 2023

Choosing Happy