Spring Awakening

Last Saturday, while Beatrix hung out at home with Lucy and Rayne, Patrick and I went to see Spring Awakening. We went student rush, courtesy of my Goucher ID, which was a sure-fire way to make us feel REALLY old, both standing in the highly exuberant line and at the performance in general. I've got a lot of faith that theater that energizes a youthful audience like that is a really hopeful sign for the future.

The rush line went smoothly, we got great seats on the main floor, and had time to go to the ultra-cool bar at the Chambers Hotel across the street for a quick drink. I've wanted to go to the Chambers forever, and going out for a drink and a show seemed like such a vestige of my long ago, slightly more hip, lifestyle. Not that I don't love what my life's become, but nice to go back and visit, know what I mean?

Anyway, the show itself was one of those shows that make me remember why I do what I do. The music, which I have listened to many times, was much more powerful in the context of the show, which was affirming. The performances were excellent. The rock musical mix walked the line of of Brechtian simplicity versus theater-as-spectacle, making few mis-steps.

It was one of the nicest evenings out I've had in a long time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Do We Mean When We Talk About Race?

New Year's Eve 2023

Desk Set