Night of the Penguin

I rarely talk about my previous marriage. Honestly, we're both better off. For people whose values were very similar at the beginning, something changed, and I don't know what. The year we got divorced, I left my job of 12 years, my mom was diagnosed with stage IV cancer, my cat got diabetes, and I was diagnosed with a major health issue. To some extent, the divorce seemed the least of it.

Still, we had spent ten years married (and 6 years living together before) building a life together, and the hardest part was letting go of dreams of the future.

And as much as things are just things, dividing some of those was hard too. I still miss Dancing Rabbit Blow Horn every time we put up the Christmas tree. And I've often missed the penguin ice bucket we had, reminiscent of many years of the Night of the Penguin benefit balls, and "walk like a penguin" during icy winters.

I've recently become involved with a great group called Little Hopes on Facebook, a group dedicated to making people's life better. We donated a ton of things from my dad's there, and it's great (if sometimes painful) to see them having new lives. And then recently, they got a donation of a penguin ice bucket, and I ended up receiving it.

Sometimes in life, things come to us in a different way than we expected.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Do We Mean When We Talk About Race?

New Year's Eve 2023

Choosing Happy