Stripping (a Corona Cleaning post)

I'm nothing if not on top of the TikTok trends. Ok, just kidding. I basically only see TikToks if Beatrix shows me one, or I see a Circus Juventas post. 

I appreciate aspects of it though. Like disrupting political rally attendance. Or pasta recipes. And recently my friend Jen (who is so on trend on digital things that she taught me all I first learned about Twitter lo those many years ago) posted about laundry stripping, which had apparently gone viral on TikTok.

So three trips to stores later (because no one had all the ingredients) I was ready to give it a try.

Here are the clean (but dingy) sheets:




Here's the treated water: 1 scoop powdered Tide, 1/4 cup baking soda (I had a lot of baking soda so used that instead of hard-to-find washing soda), 1/4 cup Borax. I skipped the Calgon. Then soak for 4-6 hours.


After soaking for 1 hour (yuck):


After soaking for 4 hours (double yuck):

I'm happy to report that the sheets now look and feel great and I am scouring the house for other things to strip (workout clothes, whites, etc.). Carrying wet sheets down to the basement is heavy and gets water everywhere, so I am hoping for some smaller loads. I also found a method for stripping towels that you can do in the washer (basically run the load with vinegar, then run it again with baking soda). Plus it's an activity that can be done while handling other things, like helping Beatrix clean her playroom (more on that later), so win!

ETA: It's become an addiction. There's a featherbed from my dad's in the stripping tub right now!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Do We Mean When We Talk About Race?

New Year's Eve 2023

Choosing Happy