Send Me a Postcard

I have nothing but anecdotal data to support it, but I firmly believe that taking time to send handwritten postcards to people helps to get the vote out (though Beatrix and I still have an Election Day tradition of chalking VOTE along our sidewalk as well.)

In 2020, Patrick and I addressed and wrote something like 300 postcards while marathoning HAMILTON. This year, my goals were more modest, and I ordered up 100 pre-stamped, pre-addressed cards from Moms Rising. We brought them with us to Door County and spent some of our MEA weekend encouraging people to vote (here I am across from Al Johnson's "the restaurant with goats on the roof" sending them out).


Patrick will say he's slower than me to address them, but he stayed in one night to address them while I took the kids to the pool, so he actually finished before me.


It seems appropriate to me that I finished my last few in the coffeeshop today, as I remember Paul Wellstone on the 20th anniversary of his death.


Beatrix had a few questions as to why we thought writing to people might help, but she seemed satisfied with our answer that sometimes you just need a little push to inspire you to get there. I want her to know that it's important to participate. I'm currently considering taking a few hours off on Election Day to be a poll-watcher, but not sure my schedule will let me.

So if you're on the fence, consider this your nudge to get out there and vote (Tue Nov 8!). And I would love to tell you why I'm voting for the people I am voting for, and why I believe so strongly in them. In the words of Erin Murphy — #JoyFightWIN.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Do We Mean When We Talk About Race?

New Year's Eve 2023

Desk Set