Too Much Cancer

I've just been reading my friend Martha's blog. Marty is our neighbor's daughter, a 36-year old who I've always connected with because she lived in Taiwan and Hong Kong. She has 3 young children, and was just diagnosed with breast cancer, which is at Stage II. Reading her blog is really difficult for me because it reminds me so much of everything we went through with my mom, and she's so young.

I want to say she's going to "beat" the cancer. But the truth is that there is nothing that one does "right" in order to survive, or "wrong" to have it get worse. No one deserves to get it, or is immune from it, and family history or personal habits are not good indicators. Cancer is indiscriminate and impersonal and viciously kills the body that hosts it. But I do know that having love and support can help, and I want to give her as much support as I can.

I also have an on-line friend who I first "met" on a thread about parents with a terminal illness (her father has brain cancer). His cancer has recently progressed to Stage IV, and I have recently met her IRL through a strange set of circumstances, which puts a more immediate face on it as well.

I just wish cancer did not exist.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Oh fuck. I'm so sorry to hear this. :(
Anonymous said…
oh yes. this is Jaime

Popular posts from this blog

What Do We Mean When We Talk About Race?

New Year's Eve 2023

Desk Set