Like A Boss

So there's one BIG problem with being an entrepreneur who deals with a large number of clients, with regards to developing leadership or management skills.


Every.Single.Time that I go to a training, or read a book, or do some kind of other professional development, I immediately and excitedly drill down into how the techniques could help XYZ client. And I get really excited and granular, and think of everything I am going to do with that client and how I will follow the steps to Make Everything Better.


Then I pop my head up like a meerkat and realize I have approximately 999,999,999 OTHER clients to develop a similar plan for, in all that intense level of detail, and I give up.


So I am really good at developing specific techniques (just ask me about PPP loan applications!), but far less so at lifting myself up as a whole and generally being *better*myself.


Work Like A Boss is the first book I have read in a long time that circumvents that problem.


It's not about any kind of productivity system, or inspirational activity, or anything about improving other people or the workplace. It's about making ME a better person — kinder, creative, accountable, communicative, even messy and emotional — so that I can be thus better to work with. It's about changing the system, rather than hacking it. It's about building power.


Do yo remember when you read "After a While" by Virginia Shoftsall for the first time in high school? I mean, you realized it was kind of sappy, while simultaneously you didn't really want to think at that time that there was not some kind of a perfect love out there that would magically fix everything for you. And then, sometime in your twenties (or maybe later, who am I to know), it hits you like a ton of bricks that your happiness really was up to you (then you can go back to thinking it's kind of sappy if you want, though like the Desiderata, it is kind of a truthful old chestnut). 


Well, Work Like a Boss is the kind of kick in the *ss that reminds you of coming to that realization, that it really is up to you. While reminding you that there are some fantastic mentors and supporter and other people in your life to help you do that. (Plus I'm pretty sure the book is not easily written out in calligraphy with some kind of floral image or the like, so Nancy is really missing out on some marketing opportunities.)


Read it. And know I'm one of your supporters in your quest to work better, LIKE A BOSS.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Do We Mean When We Talk About Race?

New Year's Eve 2023

Choosing Happy