Preservation In Action

Why preservation matters:

Because...

1) The new construction house near me has already had more repair people by in the seven weeks that they have lived there than I have had here in the 28 years I have lived in my 1886 house.

2) (on a more optimistic note)

In the fall, we cleaned out the garage and I agreed to release some of the furniture I had been hoarding.

Sending this table into the wild was really hard. I had gotten it from my dad when I first moved into this house, and had used it as a plant table, covered by an old piano scarf that I had over-dyed purple. But the top of the table had lost layers of veneer and was in terrible shape, and we had no room for it anymore, and even though I got it from my dad and it had terribly sentimental memories and my heart was saying "But he'll never be able to give you a gift again!" I knew it was time to let it go.

My friend Jennifer was looking for furniture for her new home, and I gave it to her. Little did I know how amazing she would make it — look at the picture she just sent me!


For contrast, here is the original piece (after she had cleaned it up just a little):


Pretty impressive, huh? You can follow Jennifer's home renovation adventures on Instagram at @56560fixerupper.

In the meantime, should you feel inspired, I still have this couch and the light blue rug at the front right of the picture looking for a home....



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Do We Mean When We Talk About Race?

New Year's Eve 2023

Choosing Happy