And Now, Resolved for 2022

As we drove into yoga this morning, Patrick and I were discussing New Year's resolutions. I was not feeling terribly inspired. Truth be told, I was somewhat leaning into this:


"I’m not telling you to make the world better, because I don’t think that progress is necessarily part of the package. I’m just telling you to live in it. Not just to endure it, not just to suffer it, not just to pass through it, but to live in it. To look at it. To try to get the picture. To live recklessly. To take chances. To make your own work and take pride in it. To seize the moment.” - Joan Didion

But we were also talking about things like making a more comfortable home, and professional goals, and the like (I'm not making the mistake of "More travel! Friends over every month for dinner!" this year).

And then we got to yoga, and because Viv is Viv, she nailed it (and it's not unlike Joan's words):

"What if your resolution was not to lose 10 pounds or some bullshit like that? What if your resolution was not to change anything about yourself, because that suggests that you're failing, that you're doing it wrong, when the most important thing you can do is just to love and be you? What if your resolution was simply to be you, and to let more people see that shiny wonderful person that is you, and if you change anything, it's to remove a barrier that is keeping that from happening?"

So yeah, that's my resolution. And maybe to change the front drapes and clean the 3F office area and read some more books and do yoga on the weekends and kick it with my clients and donate more to charity and be a little kinder. But mostly that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Do We Mean When We Talk About Race?

New Year's Eve 2023

Choosing Happy