Not My Usual Culture Post

Yesterday was all about different kinds of culture than we usually partake in:

1. Sports

We started the day with our friends' annual marathon-watching party. I don't run, and Patrick's last big run was The Big Gay Race. But the Twin Cities Marathon is beautiful, and I love that our friends the McLaughlin's host a party at their place near the finish in every year to watch it. Always the best food and the best people, and some Democratic politicians giving high 5s (Nothing like the old days, when Paul Wellstone was there and people would stop for prolonged periods to talk to him and he would have to tell them to get on and finish the race — that man destroyed so many finish times!)




I love the Marathon Party and the people at it.


2. Fashion

We went to the opening of the Paris Couture show at the Minneapolis Institute for the Arts and it was incredible!

The fashions themselves were gorgeous and I learned a little about the haut couture designation as well. But especially fascinating was the curation, including the color waves from room to room and the various scents piped into each room, making it a very immersive experience. I also loved the people watching. Much like Little Women at the Guthrie earlier this year, this exhibit was full of groups of women talking among themselves and taking ownership for the experience. Runs though January 17, and a must-see!


3. Rock and Roll

We were supposed to see Doja Cat, with tickets we won through binjo at Insight (long story). But then our friend Robert, who has a connection to the current tour manager got us tickets for Journey, so we gave the Doja Cat tickets to the bonus daughter and headed down to the Ex-X (the Saint Paul stadium venue) to sit in 6th row seats behind Dante Culpepper, enjoy an old-school rock-and-roll concert, and hang out some backstage afterwards.


I would not exactly call myself a big Journey fan. But of course I know all their top hits, and the concert, with a group of people that I adore, was really fun.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

House on the Rock vs. Taliesin

Coya

Holding On, Letting Go