Pandemic Projects - Misc. Clean-up

I tweeted today that:
I think it's time to admit that I am no longer the brave young woman in the dystopian novels who goes off to lead a new society. I'm the on that stays home and gardens and makes saeurkraut and tries to keep going what we have. Not sure how I feel about that.
Maybe it's age. I'm hoping I'm at least the one who would place the jar of saeurkaut in Beatrix's army surplus backpack, along with her great-grandfather's old war medal or something.

So today, in that spirit, it was a lot of catch-up. Patrick got up early and made muffins, then did a Sketchnote online class before running out to 11 Wells to get some of the hand sanitizer they are giving away (just not something we normally have around because I loathe the stuff and think it builds bacterial resistance) and to Repair Lair to drop off some extra sheets that the owner is using to make masks for people.

Meanwhile, I did a second coat of paint in the hallway and some laundry and other chores.

This afternoon we got the front yard cleaned up. We have a table and chairs out there where it's been really nice to sit in the evenings and watch people go past, but they were in pretty ratty shape (I think we got them from someone's trash):



Luckily, I am a borderline hoarder, which is exactly who you want on your team during a pandemic, and I had several cans of gray spray paint in the basement. So they got a makeover:



All this while listening to the One World: Together at Home livestream. I'm so amazed by the amount of things we can stream and see and hear at home right now. It is in no way like experiencing the real thing. But it's an experience of it's own that is enjoyable in its own way and for which I am grateful.

In the "support places you want to stay around" theory of things, we're getting takeout from Augustine's tonight. They are providing free lunches (and books!) for kids everyday, and the owner is making masks to give away in her "spare" time.

This was supposed to be the year that we did some significant travel, because Beatrix is at the perfect age for it — and obviously that's not going to happen, which breaks my heart. So I'm trying to think about making the most of it and really working on the house and the yard and some long-delayed projects. I'm hoping to do some great perennial exchanging this year and planting seeds — hit me up if you want to do some garden swapping!

I'm eminently aware that this all seems a little naive, and in a few weeks I might marvel that at one point I was worried about the yard when people are dying in the streets. Beatrix, perhaps rightfully, thinks this is all dumb and what's the point if people can't come over to see it anyway. Perhaps I should be pulling out that backpack for her....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Do We Mean When We Talk About Race?

New Year's Eve 2023

Choosing Happy