Egg-zactly

Mr. Howe, a middle school teacher at SPA, has started "Mr. Howe's Story Corner" on Tuesday and Thursday nights. He reads it literally from a corner of his house and livestreams it. Beatrix did not care about it as much at first, but now we've taken to watching it every time. I like it because it brings to mind memories of being at the Lower School, when the principal would read a chapter of a book to the whole school each assembly. I learned to read to myself early, and so my mom or dad never read aloud to me, and having someone read aloud to me was not only a novelty, but also felt warm and cozy and taken care of.

In any case, the book Mr. Howe is reading is called Under the Egg (by Laura Marx) and it's charming. He commented tonight that it was interesting we were reading it now, because of the Easter and Passover connections. It reminded me of overhearing Beatrix in class today saying we were not exactly religious but celebrated Easter — which is I guess what she gathers from dying eggs and hiding a basket for her and making a nice meal.

So with that in mind I ventured out to Walgreen's tonight to get half priced-Easter candy, so I could bake Cadbury creme egg cupcakes for the family to eat while we watched the Story Corner. And I think everyone felt very cared for and loved. I hope you do too right now, no matter how hard-hit you are by current circumstances.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Do We Mean When We Talk About Race?

New Year's Eve 2023

Choosing Happy