Have a Bookish Holiday

 Last year my amazing sister-in-law, Patrice, was with us for Christmas. Her gift was the highlight of the night — she brought a whole armful of unwrapped books, dumped them dramatically out on a coffee table in the middle of where we were gathered, and told everyone that they should chose one that spoke to them. Each book had two stories — why Patrice had chosen it (usually a personal connection with the author), and why each of us chose the book we did. It was a fascinating conversation; the book I chose was excellent; and it got my stepson back on the reading train and he has been reading like a fiend since then. It was amazing.


We won't be able to do the same thing this year, if only because we obviously won't be gathering. But I'm thinking of how to maintain that spirit. I love the Icelandic idea of the Jolabokaflod or "Christmas Book Flood" where you give books and chocolate on Christmas Eve and read straight through the night until Christmas morning.


And if you are giving books this year, may I humbly suggest buying from a small, independent store? The ones in my area (Storied Owl, Red Balloon, Next Chapter, and Subtext) all offer free curbside pickup and free delivery. I just researched a few titles, and their prices are almost identical to Amazon.


Looking for suggestions? Here are some my top books for the year (of the 80 I have read so far):


- Caste by Isabel Wilkerson. Along the lines of How to Be an Anti-Racist, a book that EVERYONE should read and discuss. It might be one of my top books ever. What I loved about this book (both of them really) is how they are both powerful, yet accessible.


- The Great Believers by Rebecca Makkai. An incredible story that was so evocative of the AIDS crisis of the 1980s, and very telling about today as well.


- Under the Egg by Laura Marx Fitzgerald. One of the teachers at Beatrix's school read this aloud 2x a week on Google this spring. I loved being read aloud to, but also was fascinated by the story, which is somewhere between middle grade and YA.


-  When No One is Watching by Alyssa Cole. My cousin and her daughter just got this for me, and got a copy for themselves as well so we can have a mini book-club. This neighborhood preservation/gothic horror story was unlike anything I have ever read!


- Real American by Julie Lythcott-Haims. I have a full-on girl crush on Lythcott-Haims and her brilliance (How to Raise an Adult was also fantastic.) I really needed a kick in the pants about how to raise a child of color who does not always look like it.


My Goodreads page has a number of other great books, and I am always happy to talk books with you, trade what I have read (though I read most of the Kindle),  or make specific recommendations! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Do We Mean When We Talk About Race?

New Year's Eve 2023

Choosing Happy