Memorial Day Friday

I'm huddled on the couch, feeling grim. Tonight should have been the kick-off to our Friday night pool parties, for the first time since 2019. But I just shot out the "postponed" message because I have come down with some kind of crud that turns out to be more than the allergies I initially suspected. In the Before Times this would have been the kind of thing I just kind of soldiered through with, but that kind of thinking seems incredibly irresponsible now.

And, though I know in *theory* that there is no way I have covid, waiting for the test results is excruciating. As glad as I am that we have efficient, organized test centers, going to them is always incredibly depressing (and I, like probably everyone reading this except my friend C, don't go enough to get routinely tested, certainly not every week as recommended). If we could take the organizational energy that takes into providing those test centers, and put it toward food distribution, or literacy, or other issues, imagine what we could do. 

Beatrix's Spring Showcase was (online) last night. I'm SO impressed by the kids, and teachers, showing great innovation in putting these together. I'm grateful for having something. Yet at the same time, I' sick to death of clicking through online art shows, seeing kids perform on stage trying to enunciate through masks, and watching music performances that are a screen filled with small boxes. Seeing them try their hardest to work through it is perhaps the hardest thing.

We've failed, not just ourselves but our kids. And I don't know how to fix it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Do We Mean When We Talk About Race?

New Year's Eve 2023

Choosing Happy