Cabin Smells

I was grabbing my toiletry bag for a trip to the cabin, and realized I did not need the small candle tin I always have in it. I learned to bring a candle with me when we last-minute road-tripped 8 years ago, and rented an AirBnB for the first time, in Asheville, NC; it was very musty-smelling. We hustled into town to buy a scented candle (the AirBnB was just on the outskirts of town, by the Blue Ridge Mountains), and I've not traveled without one since.

But as I said, at the cabin I never need it because I love the smells:

The intoxicating scent of the enormous basswood tree out the "back" door that leads to the lake. The tree is enormous, and slit in the past, with another big tree growing out of it. This year, in particular, it smells soooooo good.

The 119-year-old indeterminate smell of the cabin itself. It's not musty, or off-putting, just ... the cabin.

The different, but also distinctive, smell of the boathouse/guesthouse. I hate tiny houses, but I swear I ever did live in one it would be there.

The smell of the boat on the water. Again, hard to describe, but I know my cousins could tell you exactly what I mean.

The strangely not-unpleasant algae smell of the lake itself some times of the year.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Do We Mean When We Talk About Race?

New Year's Eve 2023

Choosing Happy