Die Zauberflöte

Beatrix has just finished the performance run for The Magic Flute (Reimagined) at SPA, her first middle school show. The performances, design, and direction were all fantastic, and she had an amazing time as being in it.

It makes me a little verklempt, thinking of my own time doing theatre at SPA (and at other places at that time, like TCITY). Watching the hallway for Mr. Rosewall's hints about what the musical would be, hours of rehearsals, nights working on the set with friends and then hitting Green Mill or Acropol Inn, getting together on the weekends and sharing inside jokes about the show with way to many people to tag here! Those were incredibly magic times in my life, and I feel so happy for Beatrix that she is getting a chance to experience that (though in far more posh surroundings than I did, that new theatre facility is amazing!)

It also made me think about the Magic Flute productions at Jeune Lune, after Beatrix asked me how many times I had seen the opera and I said more times than I could count. The TJL version was set in a beer hall, much like the original production first was. Every night, after the first scene, there was a "drink break," where patrons who had placed orders had their drinks whisked to them. We had a brand-new liquor license and a team of new house staff; I stayed every night at least through that break to make sure it happened as smoothly as possible. I cried so many times during that show run due to the pressure of it all and the long days trying to make the numbers work and then the nights making the beer work, but I also loved that show, and the people, dearly.

As we were doing errands today, I laughed and told Patrick that at least my promise that "It will never be boring" had so far been kept. But it's also very rich, and it's things like this that make it so. I'm so glad my little Third Spirit had that experience.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Do We Mean When We Talk About Race?

New Year's Eve 2023

Desk Set