More Happy Hour Reviews

This week, Beatrix has had dress and tech rehearsals for her show (The Magic Flute Reimagined, plays this Fri and Sat for FREE at SPA!), so Patrick and I have been able to hit some happy hours. We've been picking places we don't get to much, but not quite trendy new places.

Last night we tried Bap and Chicken, over by the Summit house on Grand, though we did have to walk past the still-empty Sixth Chamber site to get there which was sad. Bap and Chicken is in the old Grand Shanghai space, a poppy, Korean fried chicken and rice/noodle bowl place with a lot of hard edges, loud-ish music, and friendly, perky staff.

It's best known for chicken, of course, and I'm sure I did it a disservice by not having it but I went with a tofu bowl in "build your own bap." It was good but not earth-shattering. Patrick had wings and bulgogi tacos, which he enjoyed. Even at happy hour prices it added up kind of fast, so I give it a firm "ok but did not knock my socks off" (though again, high marks for friendly staff).

Tonight we went salvage shopping for lights and then went to J. Selby's, which we don't get to enough. No worries about not being able to eat things here, and I honestly have no idea how they get vegan to taste so good. Patrick had nachos and we split an "Iceland Burger" (like a potato hamburger, so good!)

In contrast though, the staff here was a little dis-attentive; everything seemed to take a long time to come together (it should not have taken 6 minutes for the cashier to take an order for a couple ahead of us, and for god's sake get me my beer already!) They were all sweet, but it reminded me of the old Chatterbox, when no one was *really* your waiter, they all just sort-of served you. Here again it added up fast – $40 for 2 beers, one sandwich, and nachos, even at happy hour prices.

I'm glad both places exist, and I will for sure be back, but both seem to need  little help finding their stride still.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Do We Mean When We Talk About Race?

New Year's Eve 2023

Desk Set