O brave new world, that has such people in it!

This weekend could best be summarized as a transition. Patrick got his second shot last Thursday, and I have had mine and hot full antibodies by next Tuesday (obviously nothing for Beatrix yet). So we are starting to take some slow, thoughtful steps about what our "New Normal" might be. 

The weekend had a virtual kitchen design class, and a virtual families of color event for Beatrix's school. And Bogart's Donuts!

It had hours and hours of me recording myself for the SPA Community Choir (the videos are combined together for a performance in May). The recording was REALLY hard and stressful and I think I sound terrible and look awful and it gave me a lot of sympathy for Beatrix in online learning (she's done 2 of these kinds of concerts already, plus 2 shows!)


It included us heading to Prye's Brewing with Brutus, where we sat outside and everyone fawned all over him.


And a fire and s'mores in our lovely, funky backyard.



Today started with reading more of the NY Times than I normally get a chance to. Then it was a clothing exchange for me and Beatrix (indoors, but lots of social distancing), at which we both got great stuff.


And then Patrick and me at our friend René and Christoph's this afternoon, for a lovely garden get-together with cranberry St. Germains and cheese and cake and most of all, incredible conversation. Like dipping a toe back into being social.

---

The more I think about it, the less I think that this pandemic will "end" and that things will go back to "normal." I am becoming more and more convinced that covid will be a factor for the rest of my life, so the question is now "How will it be managed?" What is safe? What are the parts of my "old" life that are non-negotiable to work to get back? What have I learned over the last 13 months that I was to take forward? 

I feel like we made a step forward in finding that balance this weekend, which is hopeful, though there's a long way to go.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Do We Mean When We Talk About Race?

New Year's Eve 2023

Choosing Happy